Monday, December 23, 2013

Day Zero Project #26: Build a gingerbread house.

One would think that at some point during my 33 years on this planet I would have already built a gingerbread house. Perhaps as a child my family would have gathered around at Christmas and bonded over edible arts and crafts? Nope. There was a time when me and my wife decided we needed to invent traditions and one of them was going to be building a gingerbread house on my birthday (mid-December). We never even got around to do that once.

But, alas, this task showed up on my list of tasks to accomplish so a I purchased a gingerbread house kit in 2012 and proceeded to let it sit on my shelf for 13 months or so until this past week when I opened it up and decided to finally get it done.

In my head I had visions of making the most awesome gingerbread house of all time. It was going to make the ones on the box look like amateur hour. But here's the thing that no one tells you: making a gingerbread house is hard. Really hard. I don't know how to decorate at all. I don't even know how to line up the gingerbread so I have a house that is straight. But that's ok, I finally finished this after at least 10 years of talking about making one.

Gingerbread design is messy.
And I'm glad that we never decided to go through with our planned tradition because now that I've made one gingerbread house I can honestly say that I never want to do it again!

My house, complete with gingerbread cornhole set.

No comments:

Post a Comment