Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day Zero Project #64: Make a list of 20 things I like about myself.

This was one of those goals that when I was looking through the list originally I put into the category of "Too easy, I'll just put that off and do it anytime I'm bored." And, yes, it was easy in the sense that I didn't have to buy anything and I didn't have to go anywhere, but you know what? Complimenting one's self is not the most easy thing in the world.

I quickly wrote down about 8 things that I liked about myself and then had to really struggle to come up with some stuff. Maybe I'm just harder on myself than most, but I have a feeling that most people would have a hard time with a list like this.

And that's the point, right? We should all like a million things about ourselves, not just 20. But you gotta start somewhere, I did right here. So read my 20 things if you feel like it but, more importantly, sit down and make your own list. You'll feel good about how cool you are.

My list, in no particular order, except the first one because that's pretty important.

1. I'm a good husband - At least I think I am, you'd have to ask my wife for the official results, but I feel like I do okay most of the time.

2.  I'm smart - I'm a pretty intelligent guy and I'm not humble about that at all. Sometimes I'm just a little overconfident in my smartness level, but that's part of my winning charm.

3. I can read faster than almost anyone - This is sort of a weird thing to like about myself, but this skill lets me read a ton of books, which is something I enjoy immensely.

4. Great music sense - The music I listen to is better than the music you listen to. And since I probably spend more hours listening to music than doing any other single thing except sleeping, this is a very good thing to like about myself.

5. I'm always up for a good adventure - I'm not necessarily a good adventurer, but anytime someone wants to try something crazy, I'm always down. Even if it means I'll likely die because you shouldn't let pesky things like inability to swim get in the way of a good time.

6. I'm addicted to lists - And why do I love this about myself? Half the fun stuff I do has something to do with completing a list. It's the reason I'm even typing this right now.

7. I'm incredibly dorky - Which sounds like a bad thing, but if it makes me who I am, I may as well embrace it. Who's ready to read some comic books!

8. I'm always willing to try new things - This sort of ties in with the adventure stuff up above, but 20 things is hard to come up with and it's slightly different, so I'll count it.

9. My beard growing ability - Yeah, sometimes it's a hassle to have a 5 o'clock shadow by 2pm every day, but it's a whole lot better than not being able to grow a beard. It's nice to have that ability to be a hipster if I want to. Plus my wife loves facial hair, so that works out, too.

10. Not quite Morimoto, but not bad - That's right, one of my many secret talents (outside of sarcasm) is that I am pretty good in the ole kitchen. Someday I'll quit the 9-5 grind, open a restaurant and blow everyone's mind. Or, more likely, I'll just keep cooking for me and my wife... Either one works.

11. I'm creative - Hard to quantify what that means. For me, it means coming up with crazy ideas all of the time that no one understands. Some say that means I'm odd, but I just claim it's a sign of genius.

12. I'm skinny-ish - I'm not necessarily as skinny as I'd like, but my wife says she'll leave me if I am much smaller, so I'll be good with where I am.

13. I'm not doing so bad - Compared to where I came from and how I grew up I am doing much better than I ever would have expected I would as a kid. First in the family to go to college, moved out, good job, happy life, etc etc.

14. I'm above-average at stupid games no one cares about - Show me a game that is best played at a tailgate or with a beer in hand and I'm better than most.

15. I'm funny-ish - At least to myself. Which is the important part.

16. I'm a pretty fun uncle - I get to see all of my neices and nephews about 1/100 of the time that I wish that I could (half a country's worth of distance will do that), but when I am around I think I can put in a claim for coolest uncle.

17. I barely watch TV - See my above posts about reading and music and adventures and lists and all that. I don't own a TV and we barely watch any on the computer, which is good because there's a whole lot of things that need to get done in a very short time while we are on this planet.

18. I'm absolutely horrible at pop culture trivia - Seriously, don't watch TV for a while, don't read any news and see what happens. I just figured out who Justin Beiber was like 3 months ago and I'm still not sure that I could pick someone like Drake out if I passed him on the street. And this is a great thing, unless I'm on your team for bar trivia. Then I'm useless.

19. I'm ultra-competitive - I hate losing, which is a bit of a problem because I'm not very good at most things. But you can be pretty sure that I'm going to try harder to do well at anything because losing is the worst. Seriously... I never want to lose at anything again.

20. As I grow older I seem to appreciate my neighborhood - Doing things "local" is a big buzz word amongst hipsters and socially consiouse suburbanites, but many people don't do much about that. Myself included, but over the past few years of living in a more urban area we've been able to support the same small businesses regularly and it's really raised awareness of the importance of supporting your neighborhood businesses. Or, more importantly, come to my neighborhood (Downtown St. Pete) and support those businesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment