Friday, January 23, 2015

50 in '15 #5: Stay in bed for a whole day.

Stay in bed for the whole day? That's got to be easy, right? All you have to do is relax, read a couple books, maybe watch a couple movies. If you throw in a nap or two, it'll be over before you know it.

The thing is, it really isn't that easy. First off, staying in bed all day is something for young people. I remember being a teenager and sleeping entire days away. Usually this came after a few days of no sleep at all, but in happened, nonetheless.

The problem with being an adult is that there are things to do and errands to run. Our free days are limited to two per week and to spend a full one of those in bed doesn't seem like a great use of time.

But if it shows up on the list, we do it. Simply lying in bed and sleeping all day sounded like a terrible option, so like good little over-planners we spent the night before filling our nightstands with all the things we wanted to accomplish while we were stranded in our bedroom. We had big plans. We were going to read books and watch movies and do some sketches and I was going to write a short story.

And rules! You know I like to have lists of rules to go with my lists. This one was simple. I had to stay in bed all day with the exception of a five minute break each hour because I'm old and if I stayed in bed for 24 hours my back would lock up and I'd likely never get out of bed again.

When it was all said and done we certainly didn't accomplish everything we set out to do, but it wasn't bad. The feeling that we should be doing something more productive was unavoidable, but we both got some reading done. One of the Cannes' film festival winner's was watched. We ordered food in and Katie didn't get too many weird looks from the guy delivering ice cream to our house at noon. And I didn't get any disapproving nods from the pizza guy when I answered the door in my pajamas at 5:30pm.

If I had to pick one positive thing from the experience, it would be being locked up together on a little king-sized bed island together talking and hanging out. A normal day would have us out and about doing things, being productive, and that's fine and dandy, but there's something to be said for setting aside a day to be together secluded from the outside world.


No comments:

Post a Comment